Forging a New Street Legend
The KATANA was developed to be a sporty-looking standard street motorcycle that takes lean, mean retro ﬂair and evolves it to oﬀer thoroughly modern styling and performance. Built to deliver the exciting ride one would desire in a current 1000cm3 class motorcycle, the KATANA is also designed to provide easy control over that power and a comfortable riding position.
In paying due tribute to Suzuki’s legendary KATANA while updating both the looks and level of performance to a leading standard for today’s street scene, the KATANA reﬂects Suzuki’s ongoing commitment to ﬁne craftsmanship and its willingness to sweat every detail to get them right.
$18,999 +ORCFinance Calculator
|Engine Type||4-stroke, 4-cylinder, liquid-cooled, DOHC|
|Engine Displacement (CC)||999|
|Bore x Stroke||73.4 mm x 59.0 mm|
|Fuel System||Fuel Injection|
|Overall Length (mm)||2130|
|Overall Width (mm)||835|
|Overall Height (mm)||1110|
|Ground Clearance (mm)||140|
|Seat Height (mm)||825|
|Curb Mass (kg)||215|
|Suspension - Front||Inverted telescopic, coil spring, oil damped|
|Suspension - Rear||Link type, coil spring, oil damped|
|Brakes - Front||Disc, twin|
|Brakes - Rear||Disc|
|Tyre - Front||120/70ZR17M/C (58W), tubeless|
|Tyre - Rear||190/50ZR17M/C (73W), tubeless|
|Fuel Tank Capacity (L)||12|
- Four-stroke, liquid-cooled, DOHC, 999 cm3 inline-four engine, street-tuned version of the legendary 2005-2007 GSX-RlO00 engine, is designed to provide smooth throttle response, immediate, controlled acceleration
- The pistons were engineered with use of FEM (Finite Element Method) analysis to achieve optimal rigidity and weight. The piston and piston rings are designed 3% lighter than that of the 2007 GSX-R engine without compromising the durability.
- The cam profiles are designed to optimize the valve timing to tune the GSX-R1000 engine - which is designed keeping in mind racetrack use - to obtain the GSX-S1000 power character that's more suited to the streets and winding roads.
- Suzuki Composite Electrochemical Material (SCEM)-plated cylinders integrated into the upper crankcase reduce friction and improve heat transfer and durability.
- Fuel injection system employs Suzuki's original, SDTV (Suzuki Dual Throttle Valve) 44mm throttle body (same size as GSX-R1000K7), the secondary throttle valves are controlled by servo motor for smooth power delivery and optimum combustion efficiency.
- 10-holes long-nosed injectors on each throttle body improve fuel atomization for better combustion efficiency and while reducing fuel consumption.
- The exhaust system is 4-into-2into-1 system, it has equalizer pipes between 1 and 4, 2 and 3 header pipes. This design contributes to stronger low-to-mid range output by fine tuning the exhaust pressure waves.
- The Suzuki Exhaust Tuning (SET) system controls exhaust pressure waves in order to improve engine combustion at low rpm.
- Suzuki's traction control system continuously monitors front and rear wheel speeds, throttle position sensor, crank position sensor and gear position sensor, and quickly reduce engine output when wheel spin is detected.
- Back-torque-limiting clutch is equipped that contribute to smoother downshifting and corner entry.
- Main frame is aimed to provide nimble handling and great road holding performance. The frame is designed with latest FEM analysis technology; the weight of the frame is lighter than that of the current GSX-Rl000.
- 43mm KYB Inverted front fork has 120mm stroke, provide sporty yet plush ride. The front fork is fully adjustable damping, rebound, compression and spring pre-load.
- Brembo mono-block front brake calipers are mated with 310mm floating-mount dual discs provides strong braking performance.
- Antilock Brake System (ABS)* monitors wheel speed 50 times per wheel rotation, and matches stopping power to available traction.
- The 6-spoke cast aluminum wheels, manufactured by TRP, are made light weight, provide nimble handling and sporty appearance.
- Dunlop radial tires, D214F (front) and D214R (rear) provide great grip in sport riding on the public roads.
- Handlebar is Renthal Fatbar. Its aluminum made, tapered design increases the rigidity of the handlebar, and reduces weight and vibration.
- The seat height is 810mm, the lowest in 1000cc street sports class. The seat and fuel tank meet slim, it makes feet reach ground easier.
- Distinctively shaped headlight is multi-reflector type with 12V60/55W bulbs. LED position lights are located under the headlight, shaped as a look of fang of a beast.
- Thin, flatly shaped rear combination lights use LED for high visibility and long life. It is double lens design that emphasizes classy look of tail section.
- Full LCD Instrument cluster is designed lightweight (only 275g) and compact. Readouts include speedometer, tachometer, odometer, dual tripmeters, gear position, coolant temperatures, driving range, average fuel consumption, instantaneous fuel consumption, traction control, and a clock.
- Suzuki Easy start system needs just one-push the starter switch just like the recent automobile's engine start system without pulling the clutch lever if the gear is in neutral. The 32-bit ECM recognizes the signals and keeps starter motor working for a certain time.